Friday, July 29, 2011

Aquapac

The aquapac
Friday, July 29, 2011

I've been meaning to blog about my purchase just before the Mighty Mite Triathlon.  I was reading blogs about how fellow insulin pumpers deal with the pump, the stress, fueling etc at a triathlon and read that some folks had used an Aquapac.  So I looked it up and ordered one right before the local triathlon.  Luckily Kara and I were to swim the day after the $85 water resistant pack arrived in the mail.  I wanted to give it a dry run before race day.  It does take a little time to figure out how to use the clamps (read the instructions carefully because it tells you to turn each clamp one at a time, then lock it down into place) but it worked perfectly in the pool.  Fellow pumper Joy Shepherd has never taken her pump off when she gets in the pool or hot tub.  Which is remarkable after blog after blog reported that others have lost pumps in the water after it gets wet because of a crack they didn't know about.  Medtronic has labeled all of  their pumps as not water resistant. 

The aquapac and sensor worked perfectly at the Mighty Mite Triathlon for me.  One thing different I'd do next time is to take a second and take the pac off the pump when getting on my bike.  I didn't take the time to do anything but shove it back into my shirt after I checked the blood sugar reading on my sensor.  Next time, I'd take it off because of it's awkward size during the run, that thing was HUGE in my shorts running those 3 miles.  I took 2:05 minutes off combined transition area times this year, ran less than a minute slower, about a minute faster on bike and took over 4 minutes off the swim which gave me an over better time this year of 7 minutes!

All in all, the aquapac is an excellent choice for triathletes with an insulin pump.  Check them out at http://www.aquapac.net/.

No comments:

Post a Comment