Sunday, January 23, 2011

Vanndale Loop

The view from behind me...Cecilia and Kara and notice my safety flag...



A sweet basset hound momma came to talk to Kara at our Vanndale break
(she had puppies nearby and a lot of milk on board to feed them)

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Martin and Kara were our gracious hosts for our weekend bike ride today.  It was 42 degrees at 3 pm when we pulled out of their driveway.  With our bike crew meteorologists Kyle and Martin, they agreed that the wind was out of the south so we should go to Vanndale first then come back on Hwy 1 to Birdeye.  That was a darn good choice that Jackie and I both agreed on.  The wind from Pleasant Hill to Vanndale was pretty tough.  We all fueled at Vanndale and regrouped and enjoyed the ride to Cherry Valley, we had a good tail wind on in.  I was excited to learn about Martin's Little Rock cyclist friends were planning a Juvenile Diabetes Fundraising bike ride in Death Valley.  Since I've been an insulin-dependant diabetic since 22 years old, I was excited about helping with the ride.  I think a $4000 sponsorship is required to ride and I believe it ends in Las Vegas.  I looked it up on the web and I copied details of the ride below:

2011 Cycle Death Valley


05/11/2011 - 12/11/2011
Departs: 5 - 12 November 2011
Experience stunning view of the canyons whilst cycling through desert and finish in style in Las Vegas!

Death Valley National Park is located in the Southern California Desert and in the state of Nevada. This 3.4 million acre part is not only the largest in the USA but arguably one of the most striking specimens of Mother Earth. This bike ride covers over 250 miles through canyons, creeks, valleys and over some steep climbs to finish in style in Las Vegas.
Why not register now?

To register simply download the registration information or contact Olivia Haddrick on events@jdrf.org.uk or call 020 7841 3657

Join the JDRF Team and help us find the cure!

Registration fee: £250 Minimum sponsorship: £2,700



We'll see if he does make the ride, how fun would that be?  Today's ride was a ton of fun, 19.4 miles in 2 hours.  We took a lot of breaks this ride, it usually takes about 1-1/2 hours.  I high tailed it to Earle right after the ride to take Chloe's BFF Bailey Bigger back to meet her mom.  We are looking forward to the next ride, hopefully this Saturday at 3 pm from Wynne.  Jeanie took a group photo with my camera on video mode and I can't figure out how to get it to publish dang it!

No comments:

Post a Comment